1. Things to remember about the Model:
Able to fit in the machine
Maximum size for the:
- ZCorp: 254x203x203 (xyz)
- Connex3: 342x342x200 (xyz)
Huge and very expensive models are only made after
A "normal" size could range from
a pencil to a tea
Set the Size
3D-printable? Check for errors
- Drag and drop
- Click the Red Cross for repair
- Click Update in the control panel
- Confirm that you have;
- Border edges: 0
- invalid orientation: 0
- Holes: 0
- Shells: 1
It safest with 1 but it might
work well with several shells
Check for problems!
If you want to fit a pin in a hole
you need some "air" between the parts.
ZCorp: 0.5 mm
If painting the parts you need more!
Walls should, if possible,
not be less than:
ZCorp: 3 mm The plaster is very
Connex3: 0.3 mm
should be rounded!
Surfaces and Meshes outwards
Set the surfaces normals before
exporting from a surface tool like Alias or Rhino
With the Surface Normal tool everything should be
blue and not yellow
With the Mesh Normal tool everything should be
gray and not yellow
The mesh should be completly green. If red try to
flip it with right-click -> Extended -> Invert Part
2. How to export your Rapid Prototyping STL-files
The amount and
size of the triangles (polygons) in a STL-files sets
the quality. You want as many triangles as
possibly without creating ridiculous big file
sizes. Decide by looking at a rounded silhouette and judge the
smoothness. But try to keep your files under 20
mb. Above 50mb is probably overkill!
- McNeel Rhino (from
Stratasys / Objet Company)
- SolidWorks (from
Stratasys / Objet Company)
- Autodesk Alias
- File > Export > Rapid
- Drag pick and select your surfaces on the
- Set the stitch tolerance to
0.01 This is the size of gaps that will be accepted and
glued together by the polygons created.
- Click Accept to make a leakage test. (If
you get yellow boundaries you can try to change the stitch
tolerance). If nothing is yellow you will probably
have a water tight and closed polygon model in the next step.
- Now you can adjust the Quality with
Tolerance and Max Edge Length.
Click Create Mesh to get a
preview to examine.
- If it is to rough then
adjust Tolerance and Max
Edge Length. And click Update to create a
new mesh preview.
- You have a possibility to make
Wall thickness and also to flip
normals (if it shows up completely yellow) if
- Click Export and save
your Rapid Prototypably STL-file :)
- Important! Check that you
have a file size well under 20 mb.
- Good work! Now you can get your stuff out
in real life.
Always check and possibly repair your STL-file:
3. Copy the STL file to the right place
Copy it into "_STL files for Rapid
Objet" or "_STL files for
Z-corp Rapid" on the S5-server in a folder with your own
Send an email to: Patrik: firstname.lastname@example.org and to
with information about:
- If it is done private or in a project
- kind of presentation it will be used at.(example "TD2
- You will recive info about the building time and price.
If your model is not ok then go back to step no 1 again :)
Interesting repair softwares;
Softwares to check your STL-file with;